left biblioblography: Ding-Dong, The Shaman's Dead!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ding-Dong, The Shaman's Dead!

Ordinarily, I don't indulge in posthumous acrimony, but in this case, I feel obliged to make an exception.

We're all aware that Jerry Falwell has passed away.

Inerrantist, evangelist, raving anti-Semite, two-faced conniver, he convinced a large majority (the Moron Majority, I like to call them) to stick their collective ignorant noses into American politics, with disastrous results. He personally made it his business to implement the Shrub dynasty, pushed a Dominionist platform, and by and large, violated many key tenets of the Founding Fathers.

The man flip-flopped on a regular basis, from his segregationist pro-to-con stance to civil rights to homosexual rights...it's a long list, and a nauseating one, to boot.

Good riddance. He was a boil on the tuchis of humanity, a perfect example of how religion turns people into lunatics, and I wish I could find some kind words in me at his demise, but the only quote that springs to mind is: "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it; he died as one that had been studied in his death to throw away the dearest thing he owed, as 't were a careless trifle". - (Act I, Scene IV), Macbeth.

ADDENDUM - Hitchens goes for broke in the following two videos (tip of the hat to Pharyngula):

 

 

Now for a bit of hilarity from the Family Guy - Robertson and Falwell.

Good-bye, Falwell: the world's better off without you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have they put him in the ground yet?
I've been avoiding the news so I don't have to hear all the foolish "what a great man he was-isms".

Ta, Jerry. Hope you like your wings and halo made of dirt.

Anonymous said...

"Posthumous acrimony" is not always a bad thing. I have often wondered why we are expected to be respectful of the dead regardless of how they lived their lives.

I have been enjoying Hitchens' straight foward approach to many things via youtube. That clip is in the same vein. Thanks.

Krystalline Apostate said...

remy - thanks for reminding me: I've put in the 2 Hitchens videos.

karen - I love the final Hitchens line at the end of the Hannity video: "If Falwell were given an enema, they'd have buried him in a matchbox."

beepbeepitsme said...

I was going to comment on what Hitchen's said at the end of the discussion as well, but it has already been done.

Hitchen's was right. Fox invited him on so that they could whine about what he had to say. Pathetic.