left biblioblography: More Sensitive Sallies in La-La Land

Friday, March 23, 2007

More Sensitive Sallies in La-La Land

Or, to quote Peter Griffith, 'Ya know what really grinds my gears?'

If I've not mentioned it, I'm a huge fan of Heroes, the TV show. You name it, it's got it: continuity, plot and character development, excellent writing, sharp dialogue - the whole kit 'n kaboodle. Plus, none of the cast has hopped into ridiculous leotards a la that ridiculous film Daredevil.

It hasn't been on for a few weeks (who on EARTH would watch two hours of 'Deal or No Deal'?), so I hopped on over to my favorite all around look-up Answers.com, poking around, hoping for a hint as to when it'll resume.

I came across this little bit of idiocy:

"Emerson lawsuit

"On October 2, 2006, Emerson Electric Company, an appliance market competitor of NBC's owner General Electric, filed suit in federal court against NBC. The suit was in regards to a scene that appeared in "Genesis," the pilot episode, which depicts Claire Bennet reaching into an active garbage disposal unit—labeled "In-Sink-Erator"—to retrieve a ring, and severely injuring her hand in the process. Emerson claims the scene "casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product" by suggesting serious injuries will result "in the event consumers were to accidentally insert their hand into one."

"Emerson is asking for a ruling barring future broadcasts of the pilot, which was previously available on NBC's Web site and has already aired on NBC Universal-owned cable networks USA Network and The Sci Fi Channel. It also seeks to block NBC from using any Emerson trademarks in the future.[21]

"The episode in question was briefly unavailable in the iTunes Store, but an edited version was shortly made available for download."

Oh, you have got to be effin' KIDDING me. I didn't even NOTICE the brand name of the garbage disposal. 'Suggesting serious injuries'? 'Tarnishing the product'? How many disposals does anyone know of that WON'T rip your hand up if you're stupid enough to stick it in there while it's RUNNING? Are they coming out with one soon? Is the company's sales so far down the crapper, that they've got to take one isolated example to court?

File this one under 'mental midgetry'.

Anyways, it's a great show. There's a great deal of discussion about evolution impacting the characters' lives (though how evo-devo can generate individuals who can walk through walls, or fly, is anyone's guess: I know, I know, it's fantasy, but it's a helluva lotta fun, you ask me). It does tend to discuss destiny and fate in the narratives a little overmuch, but it's a good way to kill an hour.

And that's my mini-rant for the day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

beepbeepitsme said...

I don't have an insinkerator. Never have. My food scraps go in the garden where they belong. lol

I can kind of understand this law suit, but it is an indication of how "product conscious" our societies are.

Anonymous said...

Kind of like the tag on hair dryers that says, "Do not use while in the bath tub."

DUH.

I didn't notice the brand of disposal either, but I'll definitely get a GE if I ever want to make mince meat outta my hand. If I write and tell GE, do ya think it'll make 'em feel better?

I like Heroes Ok. I missed a couple of nights and/or parts of episodes, and didn't break out in DTs or anything though, like when I miss CSI or House.

Saw a commercial earlier today, saying the series would be back Apr. 23. Hope you don't need to get cryogenically frozen to make it through the wait! ;)

Krystalline Apostate said...

BBIM - I certainly can't understand this sort of lawsuit, as it seems to contravene all sorts of common sense.

karen - thanks for the update.

Joe said...

I hate to even admit this but my wife loves Deal or no Deal and sometimes, uh, er, ah, to keep marital harmony in the house I've watched it.
I feel shame.

Krystalline Apostate said...

joe - Don't sweat it. I used to watch Hollywood Squares...religiously (cringe).
1/2 an hour is about my tolerance level anyways.
It's hard for me to live 'vicariously' thru people who are getting money that I can't touch, anyways.
But I still do like Jeopardy.