left biblioblography: VOTE OUT THE RUBBER STAMP!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

VOTE OUT THE RUBBER STAMP!

November is right around the corner. Time to trim the Shrub.

This caught my eye, in the Nation:

BUSH AIMS TO KILL WAR CRIMES ACT

(snip)
The US War Crimes Act of 1996 makes it a felony to commit grave violations of the Geneva Conventions. The Washington Post recently reported that the Bush administration is quietly circulating draft legislation to eliminate crucial parts of the War Crimes Act. Observers on The Hill say the Administration plans to slip it through Congress this fall while there still is a guaranteed Republican majority--perhaps as part of the military appropriations bill, the proposals for Guantánamo tribunals or a new catch-all "anti-terrorism" package. Why are they doing it, and how can they be stopped?”
(snip)
"As David Cole of the Georgetown University Law Center pointed out in the August 10 issue of The New York Review of Books, the Supreme Court's decision in Hamdan v. Rusmfeld "suggests that President Bush has already committed a war crime, simply by establishing the [Guantánamo] military tribunals and subjecting detainees to them" because "the Court found that the tribunals violate Common Article 3--and under the War Crimes Act, any violation of Common Article 3 is a war crime." A similar argument would indicate that top US officials have also committed war crimes by justifying interrogation methods that, according to the testimony of US military lawyers, also violate Common Article 3.”
(snip)
“Lo and behold, the legislation the Administration has circulated on Capitol Hill would decriminalize such acts retroactively. Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice, told the Associated Press on August 10, "I think what this bill can do is in effect immunize past crimes. That's why it's so dangerous." Human rights attorney Scott Horton told Democracy Now! on August 16 that one of the purposes of the proposed legislation is "to grant immunity or impunity to certain individuals. And these are mostly decision-makers within the government."
(end snip)

In short, this administration is giving itself ANOTHER FREE PASS. What’s my motto, troops? NO FREE PASSES. I don’t give a rat’s fart in a whirlwind WHO you are.

We got us a president who wasn’t elected, hiding behind tragedy every time he screws up, who squelchs dissent in a country that IS a ‘Free Speech Zone’ (every bloody inch of it!), who invades a country on the bidding of an invisible voice, who essentially lives in a Nixonian coccoon (he doesn’t read newspapers, he only watches football on the TV, nothing else – we the people are at the mercy of his misguided advisors), who surrounds himself with syncophants (some of whom actually QUIT), hell, let’s wrap this up and just state for the record: this guy couldn’t run his own nose if he had a lousy cold.
And a Republican congress/senate with a Republican president? So far, it hasn’t worked out well AT ALL.

I’d like to see this clown impeached. But right now, I’d settle for the voice of the people ripping his rubber stamp right out of his fist. He’s run this country by the seat of his pants, and guess what? His ass is hanging out. And this ain’t a strip club: the American people have bigger problems to deal with, and better things to look at.

So get your butts out there, and VOTE, people. Yes, you can register online – here’s the California link, your resident senator or congressman (woman, person, gah! Do I hate the PC crap these days!) is bound to have some way to do this online. I was unsure, registered last week, got my form today.

So let’s trim the Shrub, chasten the chimp, and boot out some of the sock puppet’s sock puppets.

“You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.”- Abbie Hoffman

“When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out.” – Abbie Hoffman

No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Till the next post, then.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Jerret said...

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

I LOVED that movie. So true.

Anonymous said...

In 2003, I may have dropped my mouth wide open at the site of this behavior. But since then, I've put no ceiling on the corruptness that this administration has. Cheney was the chief of staff in the Nixon administration. I think he's near perfected the art of the corrupt politician by now.

Krystalline Apostate said...

jerret:
'V for Vendetta': yeah, that seriously rocked.

loki:
In 2003, I may have dropped my mouth wide open at the site of this behavior.
Yeah, I had to do exercises for the hinge of my jaw, it kept hitting the ground so often.
I'm a little sick of the platitudes of: "All politicians lie, what can ya do?" or that we should just shrug & accept corruption as the mainstream.
The time for burnt feet is well overdue.

Anonymous said...

KA,

I cannot understand why there hasn't been more of an outcry over the Bush administration. Remember the Viet Nam protests?

It seems to get more Orwellian each month. The really weird part is that Bush believes what he says, or at least seems to. Some Americans and especially Republicans think that they are electing a king instead of a representative of the people.

Krystalline Apostate said...

remy:
I cannot understand why there hasn't been more of an outcry over the Bush administration.
It's simple, really. They've got all kinds of sock puppets running inteference.
Remember the Viet Nam protests?
Ummm...vaguely.
Some Americans and especially Republicans think that they are electing a king instead of a representative of the people.
I've wondered about that before. It seems that people need a big daddy figure of some sort. President or gawd.

Anonymous said...

Ka Said:"We got us a president who wasn’t elected"


I completely agree Bush was never elected the first or second time around.

I dont see the point in voting, but I do vote. Mostly cuz of those people who say you have no right to complain if you dont vote. So, I vote just to bitch and complain in those peoples ears EVERY chance I get. I'm not sure that its real productive but I get a lot of frustrations out. lol

Here is a great link for accurate news about politics. Theres a great article about Bush confessing to war crimes as well as how he and his fellow christians rigged the elections.

http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/index.shtml

Krystalline Apostate said...

SNTC:
I dont see the point in voting, but I do vote. Mostly cuz of those people who say you have no right to complain if you dont vote.
I think that's utter crap. There's no escape clause in the 1st amendment that says you can't bitch about something if you don't vote.
So, I vote just to bitch and complain in those peoples ears EVERY chance I get. I'm not sure that its real productive but I get a lot of frustrations out.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
"No news is good news" is utter crap.

Anonymous said...

Ka said:" think that's utter crap. There's no escape clause in the 1st amendment that says you can't bitch about something if you don't vote."

I completely agree, but you would be suprised at how many people who have said that to me, especially when they dont like what I have to say and know I am right in what I say. So, just to get under their skin I vote and then give them an ear full of what they dont want to know. hee hee

Anonymous said...

Ka said:"No news is good news" is utter crap."

Pretty much unless your husband is at war, then you begin to appreciate no news.