left biblioblography: 'Testing' The Waters - 'Whiz' Bang, It's Off You Go...

Friday, September 07, 2007

'Testing' The Waters - 'Whiz' Bang, It's Off You Go...

Cross-posted at God Is For Suckers!preacher

Here's a newsworthy article that I overheard on my morning commute:

"Tommy Tester, 58, of Bristol, Va., was wearing a skirt when he was arrested last week after allegedly urinating in front of children at a car wash, police said.

Police also said Tester offered to perform oral sex on officers who were sent to the scene."

Holy shit, the term 'walking wounded' springs immediately to mind.

Guess Herr Tester has a...thing for authority figures. Of course, this follows:

"Authorities identified Tester as the minister of Gospel Baptist Church in Bristol and an employee of Christian radio station WZAP-AM in Bristol."

I guess that's why most folks favor Christianity: the bar is low, they let just about anyone in. And of course, his fellow cultists simply rushed to his side:

"There was no immediate response Tuesday to calls to the church and Tester's home."

Maybe I should allow the shock to settle in before I rush to judgment, but I can almost hear the apron strings being brutally cut: "He ain't with us!" (Christians tend to indulge in a rather nuanced social darwinism, you ask me.)

And they bitch at us when somebody misrepresents them - problem is, there's just so damn many examples to choose from.

I'm not in any way inferring that religion made this fellow indulge in transvestitism, drugs or drink or anything else.

Rather, my pet peeve is the claim that it improves folks somehow.

The numbers say otherwise.

And numbers don't lie, baby.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: