left biblioblography: PAGE OF CONSENT – OF FOLEY, FOLLY, AND PHALLIC FANTASIES

Friday, October 06, 2006

PAGE OF CONSENT – OF FOLEY, FOLLY, AND PHALLIC FANTASIES

For a political party that claims to espouse family values, I can only wonder: which family? Caligula’s? De Sade’s? Casanova’s?

I refer to the latest moral debacle of course, that of deputy whip Mark Foley, just one more lech in the long line of ‘moral’ politicians caught with their pants down, their ‘thumbs’ in the cookie jar, or what have you.

I’m waiting for the GOP to blame Clinton for this employing their usual semantic acrobatics.

Sure, the Democrats don’t really have such a great record in this regard. There’s a long list of Dems who have conducted themselves in…a less than respectable manner.

Be that as it may, the donkies aren’t the party who claim to be the sole arbiter of ‘good old fashioned family values’. Mom, baseball, apple pie, all that.

From here:
“Unfortunately for the Republicans, they are ill positioned to make the everybody-does-it defense. Their whole shtick is that they're the community pillars, and the Dems are tramps and perverts. Now the image is blowing up in their faces, and too bad for them. Nobody forced them to get in bed with the Christian fundamentalists, who think homosexuality is evil and disgusting and sex outside marriage God's biggest preoccupation. If the family-values right wants Hastert's head on a platter, it serves him right. Live by Jesus, die by Jesus.”

But of course, it’s not Foley’s fault – it’s that old demon drink that did him in. (Typical US bushwah – ‘not my fault’, ‘devil made me do it’, the inability of my fellow citizenry to accept personal responsibilty boggles my mind, it does.)

The other thing that kills me is this: age of consent in our nation’s capital is sixteen. Sixteen? You’re kidding me, right? I’m in California – age is eighteen here. It varies from state to state.

I’m of the same mind as the Asians here – there’s the belief that a person is a teenager until the age of twenty-five. At twenty-four, I’d have bridled, and cussed that out roundly. In middle age, it makes a helluva lot of sense.

Anyways, the accusations, they are a-flyin’ – “Denny Hastert claims the revelations are a Democratic dirty trick. Rush Limbaugh says liberals are the real hypocrites ("In their hearts and minds and their crotches, they don't have any problem with what Foley did, they've defended it over the years").”

Let’s hope, come November, that this is the proverbial straw, and we can marginalize these hypocritical bozos, and get a little more balance back in the government.

That, dear readers, is my nickel’s worth. Flip it: I call heads.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Mesoforte said...

Mom, baseball, apple pie

This reminds me of something a friend told me about a shirt once.
It said "Apple pie, baseball, home cooking and abortion: American Moms are never wrong." Or something to that effect

Krystalline Apostate said...

MF:
Dunno about the baseball thing. Can't stand sports as a rule.

Vile Blasphemer said...

"I’m waiting for the GOP to blame Clinton for this employing their usual semantic acrobatics."

Saw this on MSNBC this morning- so you can check that off the list.

Krystalline Apostate said...

VB:
Saw this on MSNBC this morning- so you can check that off the list.
You're kidding me, right?
What, did old Bill force him at gunpoint? What? C'mon, share, this oughtta be good for a laugh.
How on earth can the Rethuglicans blame Clinton for this?

Vile Blasphemer said...

If I remember correctly (and I paraphrase), it was a republican congressional type who remarked, rather offhandedly, that Clinton's besmirchment of the honor of the White House with the Lewinsky ordeal relaxed the moral compass of everyone in Washington and gave Foley "assurance" that he could "get away" with improper sexual behavior. Some load of crap like that. Thought I was going to fall off the stair-climber when I heard it, I was laughing so hard.

Krystalline Apostate said...

VB:
If I remember correctly (and I paraphrase), it was a republican congressional type who remarked, rather offhandedly, that Clinton's besmirchment of the honor of the White House with the Lewinsky ordeal relaxed the moral compass of everyone...
Oy gevalt. Does anyone take responsibity for their own actions anymore, or is everything somebody else's fault?
I thought the Rethuglicans were the antithesis of the 'liberals'.
Apparently not.

Anonymous said...

It appears the republicans wont take responsibility for their own. Kathrine Harris said in an interview that they were going to weed out the democrates that were responsibile for covering up Foley's misconduct. Lol Either they are that stupid or they think Americans are.