left biblioblography: Dune And Children Of Dune – Definitely Two For The Collection

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dune And Children Of Dune – Definitely Two For The Collection

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

So I got these two films from Amazon – and wow! Talk about first-rate.

Bear in mind, that I’m not talking about David Lynch’s utter travesty from 1984. That one sucks like an Electro-Lux (note: don’t care if Herbert was involved in the production or not, so don’t bother).

I’m talking about this one. For one thing, I’m a bit of a bear about sticking to original story lines – the adage about ‘not broken, don’t fix’ may be a trifle cliché, but it stands the tests of time. And oh wow, these films are faithful to the original three novels, and still worth multiple watches.

I say three, because Children of Dune as well as the first Dune film also incorporate Dune Messiah, which was the bridge between books 1 and 3.

Obviously there is a lot of parallels between the Middle East and the planet Dune: the spice is clearly a variable subtext for oil (no spice, and the universe becomes crippled), the Fremen are obviously Arabs, but the analogies break down a bit, because I don’t see a lot of resemblance between Paul/Muad’Dib and Muhammad. There’s a few vocabulary parallels (jihad, maybe one or two others), and of course, it’s a desert planet. I suppose the Bene Gesserit could be an analogue for the Catholic Church, but again, the resemblances are barely superficial.

Anyways, I'll be watching this again sometime soon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: