left biblioblography: THE YEAR IN REVIEW…A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Monday, December 11, 2006

THE YEAR IN REVIEW…A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

“Do we inhabit some micro-space
and interface through wires.
Dance on a printed circuit board
throw the software to the fires.
My memory is slim -- so volatile
but I'm learning.
Plug yourself in. Stay for awhile
Un-discerning.”
- Ian Anderson, ‘User Friendly’, Walk Into Light

Unbelievably, the year I began my own blog flew by, as did my fingers over the QWERTY keyboard.

‘Time is that bridge of ashes each man must cross” – Roger Zelazny, Bridge of Ashes

This post was inspired by my friend, the Intolerant One, and I began to ponder the bulk the breadth and depth of my work over the year. Bordering on nearly 200 posts (the volume of which daunts even myself, and I wrote them all!), I muse upon the multitude of subjects I have, in my humble way, attempted to explore.

Allow me to indulge myself: break an arm patting myself on the back, so to speak.


I have laid into the No True Scotsman fallacy here. I have shown the Pavlovian conditioning of religion, illustrated the point of Original Intent in three parts, proven that homosexuality is only natural, have posted on evolution to the extent that only an irrational mind would reject it utterly (and truth is, there are other more eloquent pundits than I, whose work I have built upon, so I cannot take more than a footnote’s worth of credit), have demolished Paley’s Watchmaker theorem in my own way, shown that evolution is the parent of religion, and even dipped into the well of quantum physics.

Whew! In the meantime, I’ve shared some poetry, a couple of short stories, some quick slice-of-life hilarity, bashed a bigot or two, alternately defended and lambasted Islam, did a quick mockery on some bible stories, shared some fringe theories (religious and scientific), slammed Scienmythology and mulched Moronology, clobbered Christianity (multiple times: I’ve even used the bible to throw out the entire New Testament, no less!), been assaulted by the occasional troll, had a sock puppet play in my sandbox, and shared an in-depth look at my inception into the dubious honor of becoming an atheist. Not to mention that I have changed my moniker to the Krystalline Apostate. (There was one other reason that I took that name: aside from the nod to TNG – the little known fact that crystals…drum rolls, please... Tah dah! Design themselves.)

Are you exhausted yet? C’mon, I’m an old man! Pace yourself, that’s the secret. That, and lots and lots of java (the beverage, not the language, hehehehe).

And I have made some friends. Probably more enemies: ‘Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.’ What then, is the accurate measure of a man: his foes or friends?

It has been a full year. In that brief measurement of human time (what is short for a butterfly is long for an elephant), I have come to some conclusions, some preset, some startling:
  1. Atheism is the default position (preset)

  2. Every woman has the right to choose (preset)

  3. Homosexuality is not only natural, but that gays deserve (like us) the right to marry (startling)

  4. Evolution is the default position (preset)

  5. Christ never existed (startling)

  6. The bible should be sold in the Fantasy section of any bookstore (let’s relegate any and ALL religious propaganda to that area, shall we?) (Preset)

  7. Relationships are better made with real people, not imaginary friends (preset)

  8. Not all Christians are the enemy (preset/startling)

  9. Creationism is for the hopeless romantic, not the real scientist (Preset)

I think I do a little bit of all right for an armchair philosopher.

In the coming year, I will endeavor to the fullest to bring you the best, the brightest, the strangest, the wildest, all from my unique and ‘quirky’ point of view.

To all my beloved readers (atheist and theist), my thanks. It’s been a memorable year – here’s to many, many more.

Your humble correspondent, signing off (for now).

Cheers.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

beepbeepitsme said...

Congratulations on your year in the blogosphere. May there be many more irreverant postings in the future. :)

Anonymous said...

So...it's been a year, has it?

Some days it felt like it took me an entire year just to read your newest post. (That's a statement about me, not about your writing, dahling!)

But congrats anyway on having the fortitude to keep up with such a mighty blog for so long and to keep it so interesting.

Lessee, the 1 year anniversary gift suggestion is paper. That doesn't translate all that well in cyber world.

Guess you'll hafta settle for my love and well-wishes!

Krystalline Apostate said...

BBIM:
Congratulations on your year in the blogosphere. May there be many more irreverant postings in the future. :)
Thanks, & hopefully not 'irrelevant' posts, ey?

karen:
So...it's been a year, has it?
Aye faith & jaypers, that it has. Flew quickly, it did.
Some days it felt like it took me an entire year just to read your newest post. (That's a statement about me, not about your writing, dahling!)
Well, feel free to ask questions, goddess o' mine.
What bugs me a bit, is when I phone it in, I get all kinds of responses, when I work hard at it, few seem interested.
But congrats anyway on having the fortitude to keep up with such a mighty blog for so long and to keep it so interesting.
Yes, well, I'm really wishing for a higher readership for xmas (oops! Solstice! sorrysorrysorry).
Lessee, the 1 year anniversary gift suggestion is paper. That doesn't translate all that well in cyber world.
I just think of it...as virtual paper.
Luv ya, babe.

The Intolerant One said...

Thanks for the "nod". I think that is the first time ever you linked to me! I am still waiting to make your "Crackpot" list (J/K don't you dare)

It is now my turn to send the congrats your way on your 1 year in bloggerdom!

I enjoyed reading the highlights of the past year. Especially knowing many of them are refutable :) But this is your moment to shine so in keeping in the spirt of friendship I say "Hats off to you KA"

May you slow down this year so I can keep up! (LOL)

Krystalline Apostate said...

TIO:
Thanks for the "nod". I think that is the first time ever you linked to me!
Yes it is.
I've pondered the concept of linking to xtian blogs, but am somewhat ambivalent to do so.
I am still waiting to make your "Crackpot" list (J/K don't you dare)
You're only skirting the edge of the fringe, my friend (hehehehe).
It is now my turn to send the congrats your way on your 1 year in bloggerdom!
Danke, & likewise, mein freund.
I enjoyed reading the highlights of the past year. Especially knowing many of them are refutable :)
& here I am, still waiting.
You know how to find me. ;)
But this is your moment to shine so in keeping in the spirt of friendship I say "Hats off to you KA"
Tip o' the tophat to you as well, old son.
May you slow down this year so I can keep up! (LOL)
I learn at a near frantic pace, & like a child, am eager to share what little I know w/the world.
I average 3 posts a week: pick 1, dig in. I'm usually 3-5 posts in advance.
'Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, in the machinery of the world.' - Guenther Eich.

Anonymous said...

Congats K! Sorry I missed most of them. And thanks for all the help.

Krystalline Apostate said...

remy:
Congats K! Sorry I missed most of them.
Thanks, remy. They're all still here, BTW.
And thanks for all the help.
Always a pleasure.