left biblioblography: Putting The Hard Word On The Hardcore - The Logos I Will Not Live By

Friday, April 06, 2007

Putting The Hard Word On The Hardcore - The Logos I Will Not Live By

(Cross-posted at God is for Suckers!)
theo-circle-with-type

"You know I feel there's something 'bout to break now,
You know I feel there's a city here to take now.
And it's not so tough for these ordinary hands,
When we trust someone with extraordinary plans.

You know I feel this heart's about to break now,
Cos I can see what the devil's trying to take now.
We've got this leather backed book and a freedom cry,
And we're an army of God who are ready to die.

You give us hope where hope is gone,
You fill the streets with a holy song,
We're gonna paint this big old town red.

Oh, Here we come, here we come
Oh, Here we come, here we come

You know I feel this sky's about to break now.
You know I feel our city's gonna shake now.
And we hear you call every woman and man,
"Ring the mission bell" and storm the gates of hell.

Miracles run from street to street,
Rise up Church for a holy meet,
We're gonna paint this big old town red
We're gonna paint this big old town red
With the blood of Jesus!"

- Delirious, Paint the Town Red

They believe they have received the word from On High. They believe they do the work of the angels, that the sweet nothings whispered in their ears from old ghosts that hie back the Iron Age is the final word, and any opposition is the murmurings of evil.

I speak of course, of the Dominionists, those thick-skulled Theonomists who know what is right for the rest of us, and will willingly violate all the precepts of their precious 'free will' in order to bring our country and the world under the harsh rules of the Old Testament, and, in the words of their own book of fables:

"10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled."

It becomes blaringly obvious that the only real choice any of us would be allowed under this divine dictatorship, is that either/or choice: accept their savior, or not. But if not, that is all. And given that, the options that stem from the latter would be silent disapproval. No dissension allowed.

There are those among the religious who will proclaim this a tempest in a teapot, that such claims are the result of conspiracy theorists (substitute whackos for that last word). Sadly, this is not the case.

Witness:

"Our job is to reclaim America for Christ, whatever the cost. As the vice regents of God, we are to exercise godly dominion and influence over our neighborhoods, our schools, our government, our literature and arts, our sports arenas, our entertainment media, our news media, our scientific endeavors -- in short, over every aspect and institution of human society." - D. James Kennedy

"The world is in rebellion against that [Christ's] government. From these rebels and revolutionists, we hear much talk about "peace" [...] and a great deal of hostility to government. But Isaiah tied the two together: "Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end". True peace, in other words, is a product of true government. When there is true law and order, then there is also true peace. Abolish law and order, and you abolish peace and create a situation of revolutionary warfare and anarchy. By abandoning Christ as Savior and King, by abandoning His government and peace, we are moving into a world of perpetual warfare. We are engaged in "perpetual warfare for perpetual peace" because we are seeking it without Christ" (Dec. 16, 1967). - Rushdoony

"America and other nations can be Christian if they adopt biblical laws in state, church, family, and all other entities and associations. We cannot trust man (individually or collectively); we must trust God and His immutable law. If civil magistrates will not apply the Old Testament law, then what will they apply? The law of man. If we will not be ruled by God, we will be ruled by tyrants." (see p. 67, God and Politics: Four Views on the Reformation of Civil Government, ed. Gary Scott Smith (Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed, 1989). - Kevin Clauson of the National Reform Association.

I am not given to fear easily: I have walked away from car crashes and faced more than one one-eyed stare in my day, my pulse steady and my hands untrembling: but these people frighten me.

What follows is a 25 minute film, narrated by Burt Lancaster, that illustrates how long these people have been at it (since the 70's: note how young Falwell and the rest of the fanatics are):



From the Federal Marriage Amendment (an effort to codify an 'institution' they feel is completely theirs) to the invasion of Iraq (which was once Babylon, something not lost on those of us who have some idea as to how these people think), from the Faith-Based Initiatives the Chimp-in-Chief has put in place (in clear violation of the Establishment Clause) to the obvious political clout that these wild woosters of wee-hee-hee (paraphrased from Firesign Theater) wield, from the revisionism of American history to the invasion of Creationism into our school systems, it is painfully evident that a theocracy is not only being plotted, but subtle mechanisms have been planted over the last few decades.

And there is no being rational with the irrational, no reasoning with the unreasonable. My firmest hope is that we can do battle with words and paper, and if enough of us raise our fists and bellow to the skies our discontent, it will be heard: that the bleeding wounds of fanaticism can be staunched with logic.

But if these madmen, beards bespeckled with foam, manage to bring our country under their thumbs (and under the thumbscrews, an inevitable consequence), then it will be time to join battle. For I should rather die free fighting with my lips skinned back on bloody teeth, than live comfortably as political slave and ideological eunuch.

I shall not kiss the boot nor bless the whip, but curse them both with my last breath. Or, as old Billy the Bard stated so aptly:

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

Caveat cultus!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

Expressed well and Thanks for joining in!

Cheers!

ted said...

"Caveat Cultus!" indeed. Very well said KA...:)

Sadie Lou said...

"Our job is to reclaim America for Christ, whatever the cost. As the vice regents of God, we are to exercise godly dominion and influence over our neighborhoods, our schools, our government, our literature and arts, our sports arenas, our entertainment media, our news media, our scientific endeavors -- in short, over every aspect and institution of human society." - James D. Kennedy

Oh my goodness!! I will borrow this quote and I will do a very harsh critique of it. This kind of Christian mentality is not Biblical--it's dangerous and it sounds radical and anti-Jesus.
Kennedy needs to go sell crazy for some other religion cuz plenty of us don't want him representing us.

Krystalline Apostate said...

ted, Coffee - thanks guys.
I actually spent more time trying to figure out a rallying 'battle cry' than writing this. It's tough - all the good ones taken.

sadie:
Oh my goodness!! I will borrow this quote and I will do a very harsh critique of it. This kind of Christian mentality is not Biblical--it's dangerous and it sounds radical and anti-Jesus.
Kennedy needs to go sell crazy for some other religion cuz plenty of us don't want him representing us.

While you're at it: Robertson, Falwell, Dobson, & the rest. There's a LOT of these bozos making this effort.
This is a major reason why many of us atheists have an 'unhealthy' obsession w/religion. Quite a few on your side of the fence aren't content to leave well enough alone.
I know you're not 1 of those.

Sadie Lou said...

Please keep coming back to my blog. Non believer imput is valued in my "house".
I know all about Robertson, Falwell, Dobson and the like. There isn't a whole lot someone like me can do about it other than posting in opposition to it and hoping the trend to rebuke those guys will continue. But here's the quandry and tell me if I'm wrong:
Christians taking on other Christians and arguing is just as vulnerable for attack as anything else Christians do. You might see my blog post and go, "Hey! Aren't you Christians told to get along and love each other? Yet here you are blasting your fellow Christian! You guys can't even agree on what you believe!"

See?
That worries me. You're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. Go read what Chris Bradley has to say about "nice Christians". People like him hate us either way.

remy said...

Whooooly f#@k! That's some scary video.

"Why should we compromise our values to include all?"

They protested child abuse laws!?
"The blueness of the wound cleaneth the inward parts"? Is that really in the Bible?

Paul Weyrich said, "put things in simplistic polemical terms". Did he mean that or did he mean simple terms? YIKES!

karen said...

sadie
It's a given that christians can't come to agreement with each other. I wouldn't worry about what anyone says to that effect. I haven't read what Chris has said yet, but I would much rather see/hear moderate christians critiquing the right wingers, and showing that some of you have some sense, rather than you sitting in a corner quietly and allowing them to represent you by not speaking up.

Go for it!

Sadie Lou said...

Karen--
I'm trying. I'm reading a book right now by John Shore called "I'm Okay-And You're Not" where he scolds Christians for being more about judgment than about love.
I'll do a review as soon as I finish and I've been emailing him (the author) back and forth.
It's just that it feels a little like a raindrop in an ocean.

Krystalline Apostate said...

sadie - I will, you're rapidly becoming 1 of my favorite people.
But here's the quandry and tell me if I'm wrong:
I think you're wrong in this case - & I'll step up to bat for ya, if I think you're right about something. (I think you're wrong about the religion thing, but that's a given).
Karen's spot on (as usual): we'd rather see the moderates raising their voices in protest.
It's just that it feels a little like a raindrop in an ocean.
Time for a Lucretius quote:
"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling."

remy: I don't think that's in the bible. I've watched it once: more than that, & I get a tad white-knuckled.

PastaLaVista said...

Yes they have been at it for quite a LONG while haven't they KA? No need to wonder why the majority of Americans nowdays think they will survive death. There's definately been no shortage of individuals lining up to crank the worn handle of that perpetual fantasy machine called religion. Truly disturbing video.

Krystalline Apostate said...

PLV - hey, there you are! Long time no viddy, droog! (Clockwork Orange, case anyone asks)
Yeah, & they've had approx. 3 decades where nobody's said boo.
Boo.

Sadie Lou said...

sadie - I will, you're rapidly becoming 1 of my favorite people.

Yeah, it's mutual.

I think you're wrong in this case - & I'll step up to bat for ya, if I think you're right about something. (I think you're wrong about the religion thing, but that's a given).
Karen's spot on (as usual): we'd rather see the moderates raising their voices in protest.


Okay. I'll buy that for a nickle--but did you read Bradley's post?

Time for a Lucretius quote:
"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling."


Cool quote! I might have to use that one too.

Krystalline Apostate said...

sadie - which post? The Fundie Whack post?
Seeing as how it's a holiday weekend, it's probably a little too late for you to join the blogswarm going on, but I'm sure the wheels are a-turnin'. I don't think it was directed at you (his last sentence), so don't read too much into it.

PastaLaVista said...

KA said:
"PLV - hey, there you are! Long time no viddy, droog!"

Yea I'm still around KA. Become more of an occasional lurker nowdays. You've been very busy on your blog. I learn something every time I visit. Keep up the good work and oh:

"Keep the NO Faith"

Someone signed off with that slogan on the NGB recently and I can't remember who it was. I thought it was hilarious.