left biblioblography: MESSING WITH THE MINDS OF THIEVES

Friday, March 31, 2006

MESSING WITH THE MINDS OF THIEVES

I got a notification from Chase Manhattan today. Funny thing is, I don’t HAVE an account with these folks. And yet, I got in my secondary email account. I KNOW there’s no account under the name of Reluctant Atheist: I’ve never done that.

I’ve developed a new way of dealing with these scheistkopfs: I log in, but not under any real name. Just to mess with them.

They’re getting better, BTW, so best to be careful: just recently, I was able to discern that the email I got from Amazon, when you hold the cursor over it, what shows in the bottom left hand corner is an IP address (you know, 174.1.3.678, or somethin’ like that).

This one from Chase was excellent. http://www.chase.com.ch-ht.com/account.php showed up, it all looked real.

So I logged in:

Login: buttugly

Password: eatmyshorts

Guess what? It let me in. What a surprise.

Prompted me for an ssn, credit card no., the whole works.

I put my mother’s name down as Eva Braun, my ssn was 666-66-6666, credit card #, all 6’s, etc.

So my advice to my readers: when you get this nonsense in your email (I located it in my secondary email account, you know, if you don’t have an Ebay account, and are being told it’s in danger of expiring), always try logging in with a fake name and password. If you CAN get in, hey, have some fun with it. Tell them your mom’s maiden name is Minnie Mouse, etc.

And always clean out your browser’s cache, afterwards. Just to be safe. Deep-six everything. I even rebooted (I’m on Winbloze), just to be safe.

Maybe if enough of us do this little dance, it’ll cut down on what I call the rape-mail. I doubt it, but one can only hope.

So, have fun

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

HairlessMonkeyDK said...

Good.
Take the offensive!

Krystalline Apostate said...

HMDK:
Oy, it beats being passive aggressive

udonman said...

just had somthing along the same line happen to me i got two letters in the mail saying i was rejected for credit now the funny thing was i never applied for credit with these two banks i did apply for credit with cabelas and was denied when a week beforemy credit rating was excellent so something is up

TheJollyNihilist said...

It definitely beats being passive aggressive. I've gotten a few of those Phishing emails, but I never tried using a fake name and fake password to gain access to the information stealing page. I just deleted the mail ASAP. But, I agree with you: They fuck with us, we should fuck with them. I can't believe this type of outright fraud is so pervasive.

Krystalline Apostate said...

FTM:
Hey, thx for dropping by.
When the bard said, 'The play is the thing', I'm sure he didn't mean it the way I intend.
The only problem now, is that just to be safe, I blew away my cache (in Norton & firefox), & am having all kinds of problems w/my usual stuff. MS Word for Blogger isn't letting me post anymore, & Performancing isn't letting me log on.
I guess I can convert over to Wordpress. But I prefer Word (mostly due to familiarity).
I fell for it once: Amazon email, went in, checked my CC #, expiration, then went back to email, IP address, oh crap! Flurry of activity to change my password.
Fool me once, as the saying goes.
So, yeah, play games. But, as in all things, be careful.

Stardust1954 said...

I use my delete button too the minute I see it in my box. Someone told me that sometimes by merely opening these they can "plant" something into your system.

Krystalline Apostate said...

Stardust:
Someone told me that sometimes by merely opening these they can "plant" something into your system.
That's very likely to be true. That's why I included advice to clean out certain items (cookies, private data). I also have Zonealarm installed, which tells me that 144,121 attempts to access my system have been blocked.
I'm fairly safe.
Next time I do it, though, I'll boot into Linux, & then go back to Winbloze.

Mesoforte said...

You too? I got that earlier this week and wrote to the Bank about it. New it was a scam right away.

Krystalline Apostate said...

MF:
I got that earlier this week and wrote to the Bank about it.
I was beginning to wonder, as follow-up emails appeared in my bulk (spam) folder, claiming there was evidence of fraud, my account was frozen, etc.
& I don't have a bloody account, in the 1st place. A lot of work to seem legit, in my eyes.
I wonder when I'm going to hear back from the Nigerian prime minister? ;)